April 14, 2020

Still Life: Vernal Vignettes

Since arriving in Hurricane a month ago, we have walked 82 miles. Most of those have been racked up during long, long walks around town, but we do manage to get out onto some trails, too. In my last post, I showed you some of our Confluence Park exploration that occurred from town on “our” side, but we’ve also explored the park from the La Verkin side.

Point me to the porky pines, please!

Legend has it that the resident porcupines can sometimes be seen snoozing the day away in the trees along La Verkin Creek.


I don’t see any, do you?

There was some heavy machinery working clearing the nearby field, so that may have frightened the quilled ones away temporarily. We’ll keep checking back.


Remanants of the town’s original hydroelectric plant.


Granary ruins from a former turkey farm are snugged up to the volcanic basalt.

All manner of flora was happy in the natural rock “planters.”
 

The claret cup cacti made head-turning shocks of color against the black rock.

While we didn’t espy any porky pines, we were happily surrounded by other critters.

A Ladder-backed Woodpecker dug into a pecan.


Western Kingbirds were flying bug zappers.

 

A Rock Squirrel trio posed for their portrait “Shrill Life”

Rain-churned, muddy water.

The pictures can’t capture the strong sulfur smell of the river, which made some of the walk a bit stinkola.

We walked up a wide black-gravel road at the end of the trail that served as access for a bordering neighborhood and also offered up a nice view across the valley. Next time we visit this park, we’ll hike along the tortoise trail again. The increased heat also increases the likelihood that more will be out of their burrows.

Brown Garden Snail

These snails have suddenly appeared everywhere. They’re pretty big here, and I’m hoping to find an empty shell or two for some painting.

We also bike once or twice a week, and on our last ride, we saw two tiny lambs in a pen right along the street. As we slowed to look at them, the tiniest one saw us, ran over to the fence, and bleated his little head off.

They both got a good woolly scritchin’.

So what’s the latest on the hummingbird hatchery?

Four weeks ago.
 

Two weeks ago.

One week ago.

  
Last weekend. 

Research tells me that once the two little humlets can fly on their own, Mama will stay with them for another couple of weeks to show them where to find tiny bug hors d’oeuvres and sweet drinks. Happy hour at my place!
 
COMMENTS
 
 
  1. Betty Beautiful pictures. The Rock Squirrel trio made me smile, especially the fellow on the left. I also liked the Western Kingbird photo – love the yellow. It’s great you see notice all the interesting aspects of nature while hiking.

      Chasing Dirt Hi, Betty! I’m glad you liked the photos. It was a treat to see the kingbirds, though not at all rare, they were a new one for me. I’m hoping to see them again for even better photos!

  2. Amanda Peterson Hi Joooooodie!!! And TBG!! Your posts never cease to amaze!!! Your pictures are stunning…the woodpecker on the pecanπŸ‘ŒπŸΌ…and the hummingbirds!!πŸ’–

    Thank you for always sharing your adventures. It’s fun seeing you live your dream!! I sure miss you and think of you often!! You are one I would love to have a conversation around this time we’re in!
    Be safe 😁πŸ₯°πŸ˜ƒ

    • Chasing Dirt Pandie!!!! Oh, I miss you, too, and think of you all the time. We have driven by a number of Black Bear Diners in our travels, and each time I wish we were pulling in to meet up with you.

      I’d love to talk to you any time about the scourge or anything at all!

  3. Laurel Not only are your photos wonderful, but your captions are always entertaining. The rock squirrels ‘Shrill Life’ LOL!! And I love the hummingbird series from nest to fledglings. Isn’t it an excellent plan that their beaks don’t grow too much until they’re out of the nest?

    We’re putting on the miles around here, too…walking ’round and ’round the neighborhood and racking up 4-5 miles a day. Not quite as exciting as when we’re on the move in our travels, but there’s always something to see, even in the backyard. However, we have no hope of seeing porcupines, so I’m counting on you guys!! I want to see a porcupine snoozing in a tree. πŸ™‚

    • Chasing Dirt LOL, every time we see rock squirrels, we are reminded just how piercingly loud they are.

      I think those hummies were made pretty perfectly, for sure. Especially considering how tucked into that nest they were for probably a week before we could even see that second head!

      We will do our very best to find a porky pine. We’ve only ever seen one in the wild. I hope it’s not like a watched pot!

  4. chapter3travels Oh, Utah, you’re so pretty! But I guess it’s good that I’m just seeing pics because sulphur does not smell great… I wonder if it’s always like that or is it seasonal?

    LOVE the claret cup cacti photo! It’s nice to see something so bright and cheerful these days! And speaking of which, OMG the lambs!!!! So adorable! Glad you got to give them some attention.

    While I’m sure you’d love to venture out farther, it’s great that you’re able to get out and explore, and obviously, there’s no shortage of wildlife to check out! Stay safe!

    • Chasing Dirt Stupid sulfur, trying to ruin our happy time! We were so tickled to find that the claret cup grows here. Pretty soon the prickly pear and hedgehogs will join them. Yes, those little lambs were something else! So funny how they started to cry as soon as they saw us. It was all I could do not to lift the littlest one out and pedal away with him. We are champing at the bit to hike more, but I have a few longer outings to show next post, and *maybe* we’ll be able to get into Zion before too long.

      Yer bossy, but we’ll stay safe anyhow. You, too, hear?

  5. Shannon It’s very cool that you have Wild Kingdom going on in your vicinity. I can’t even imagine how tiny the hummie chicks were when they first hatched, considering how petite the adults are. I’m sure you will eventually have a porcupine encounter given how many miles you are putting on the hiking shoes!

    • Chasing Dirt I never would’ve imagined the plethora of critters so close, but of course we’re tickled. I wish we could’ve seen into that teeny nest to see the jelly beans and newborns. I hope you’re right, and we find a porker! It’s getting to be snake time, too, and though I always like to get pictures of new creatures…well. 😬

  6. Lowe's Travels Wow, 82 miles! We are sooo jealous and of course, you are seeing lots of critters. Only you can make us laugh with your captions. I still have to see a Hummer nest, and Steve still has not seen a porcupine in the wild 😦 We would hate you if you do see it!

    Did you encounter a rope swing by the river? I had a little fun there with that rope, and no I did not fall in the water! That is a unique photo of the claret.
    You know I can’t recall if I saw that wooden building by the rocks, and I wrack my brain trying to picture out that area. Oh well, you guys are just having too much fun while we are now in the triple digits all days this week.

    • Chasing Dirt Uh-oh, you’re going to have to hate us because we’ve seen a porcupine in the wild! Not here (yet) but in eastern Washington.

      We have seen the rope swing by the river, and I had seen your post about swinging away on it. You should have tried to touch the water from it LOL!! I’m sure you’ve seen the old buildings along that trail. They are doing a lot of clearing out, something about water lines? along that section of trail, so it hasn’t been very peaceful down there this spring. Yuck on the heat where you are! We’re going to hit 90 soon, and I don’t care for that one little bit, but it’s better than snow. I think.

  7. placestheygo You certainly landed in great area to wait out the virus. Lots of repeats going on with all of us. We have to create our own trails since the few real trails are way over crowded. Thank goodness we have miles and miles of desert and Jeep roads. Love the Claret Cup. It’s my favorite. The hummer nest is awesome! They are so tiny. I’ve only ever seen one with two teeny eggs inside. Lots of entertainment to help pass the days.

    • Chasing Dirt We feel so fortunate every day that we were where we were when we needed to stop for awhile. I think as the summer progresses, we’ll all be able to move around a bit more. The claret cups are one of our favorites, too. They were the first cactus blooms we ever saw (at Guadalupe N.P.) so they have a special place in our hearts. I think the two little humlets are on the wing now, as the nest has appeared empty the past couple of days. It was so much fun to watch the progression! Stay safe and cool!!