May 28, 2020

Zion N.P. UT (ZION) Part 2

 

Part 2?! What happened to Part 1? Isn’t this Still Life? What’s the big idea? And why does it say Zion twice in the title?

Stop badgering me, and I’ll tell you!

Last question first, I want to point out that Zion is the only N.P. whose four-letter designation ZION is its actual name. Ok, then, to the rest.

We had originally planned to come through southern Utah in April, and those plans would have had us at Capitol Reef and Canyonlands National Parks. Zion wasn’t on the list for 2020 because we had visited it in 2009 (with TBG’s whole family) and while it’s certainly a park that’s worthy of a return visit, we had wanted to spend time at a couple new-to-us parks.

Scenes from Zion Part 1: TBG and nephew navigate the chains on Angels Landing, a view of Kolob Arch, Lovebirds on Observation Point, Taylor Creek hike

When we first arrived in Hurricane, which is about a half-hour drive to Zion’s main (southern) entrance, the park was still open, but barely, and the reports of overcrowding were sufficient to keep us away. Once the shutdown was complete, we were resigned to the possibility that we’d not be able to re-visit this year at all. We counted ourselves lucky to have hit so many of the iconic spots in ’09.

On May 13, the park re-opened on a limited basis, and we made the potentially regrettable decision to head in. We hoped that, being a Wednesday with no shuttles running or visitor centers open and several of the signature trails closed for various reasons (C19, maintenance, rock slides) it wouldn’t be too bad. We braced ourselves to be trapped in an endless line of cars with the possibility of peeing our pants.

We needn’t have worried. The gates were wide open and deserted since no fees were being collected for the time being. There were plenty of spaces in our chosen lot and masked park workers were at the ready to assist and direct visitors. The restrooms were also open, so no pants were peed.

West Rim, Bottom Up

Déjà view

We had to repeat a section of trail we’d done in ’09 in order to get to a part we’d not. The sign says Angels Landing, and this is the way there, but it is actually the West Rim Trail. The first mile is a moderate climb through Refrigerator Canyon, then the next mile climbs up a series of 21 short, steep switchbacks called Walter’s Wiggles.

TBwiggler

A total of 1000’+ later, the Wiggles dump you out at Scout Lookout, a good place for a breather, a restroom break (facilities provided) and excellent views into Zion Canyon. From here, you have three choices. You can take the treacherous half-mile trail out to the tip of Angels Landing (currently closed), call it a day and head back down, or continue out the West Rim Trail, which is what we did.

Making these signs is hard.

One of the “problems” with monumental hikes that offer jaw-dropping views at every turn is that you end up with an overwhelming number of photos to sort through and choose from. I helped mitigate that problem by dropping my camera lens-first onto the trail where it literally bit the dust. TBG takes better scenery photos anyhow, and I will just let some of the best ones do the talking, but they might be out of order. If you’re not familiar with this hike, you won’t know the difference. I did the hike, and I can barely tell the difference, so we’re even.

Looking across Telephone Canyon.

Heading into lush and cool Little Siberia.

Climbing out of Little Siberia.

Telephone Canyon beyond Little Siberia’s greenery.

Perspective.

TLwiggler

At the bottom of the V made by the sky in the above photo is the point from which the Perspective photo was shot.

Gifford Canyon & East Rim

Our next adventure involved traversing the park on the twisting, turning, wiggling Highway 9 and through the mile-long Zion-Mt. Carmel tunnel to get to a place just east of the passage. The two small parking lots were cordoned off, but further up the road we found a pullout that wasn’t ringed with No Parking signs. We hiked back down the road, and by the time we got to the ranger hut at the tunnel’s east entrance, the ranger was there. She confirmed our parking choice and wished us happy hiking.

From what would normally be the trailhead parking lot, you have to drop straight down a short section of rocky wall. Then you cross over the wash to climb up a short section of slightly less rocky wall.

TBG made a handy-dandy little guide.

It’s a pretty canyon once you do, though.

Trying to stay on the rocky parts which look like water in this photo.

Avoiding actual water wasn’t a problem in the bottom, but the sand could be tricky because sometimes where it looked perfectly dry, it was really boot-sucking quicksand. We didn’t see anyone else along the way, but that doesn’t mean we weren’t seen.

Kitty!

We didn’t go too far, mostly because it became a hard scramble and partially because worrying about being pounced on by a mountain lion is exhausting.

I’d live here, too, if I was a puma.

Peeking into a spur canyon before climbing out.
 
Since we hadn’t gone too far, we were ready for more fun, and headed further up the road to just inside the park’s east entrance, where we accessed the East Rim Trail.
 

This section is not a particularly spectacular trail in Zion-speak, but it’s nicely maintained, and the long switchbacks up to the rim are easily navigated. The whole trail is 11 miles one way, but we weren’t doing that much even on our best day. That just leaves more for another time!

 



Northgate Peaks

With the temperatures continuing to climb, the limited access to and popularity of the trails in the main canyon, and our desire to see the lesser-visited areas of the park anyhow, we headed up to the Kolob Terrace section for our third Zion foray.

“Be like a wildcat!” I said. Hee!

This hike, as you can see, begins at the Wildcat Canyon Trailhead, and I’ll show you that hike in the next post. Meanwhile, the first mile is the same for several different destinations.

This world record fatty says, “It’s all the same to me!”

We enjoyed the pine-scented air and mild temps on the way out, but didn’t take many photos until we got to the end.

I hate it when he climbs out on the rocks, and he hates it when I yell at him for climbing out on the rocks. It’s just one of the ways we maintain a healthy balance!

He’ll argue the pictures are worth it.

We veered off-trail a bit on the return to take in some alternate views.

A gopher snake was guarding the cryptobiotic soil.

I took a nice rest well off the fragile soil while TBG walked out a bit further to check for photo ops.

He found this.

This is what befalls those who stomp the delicate ecology!

The ribcage of these elk remains shone like a beacon not far off the trail, so we had to investigate. There was no head anywhere to be found, which (we guessed) meant either the animal was poached for its rack or the skull was collected by park personnel after its natural demise.

The walk back was as pleasant as the walk out, though critter-free.

Two sets of our friends, The Lowes and the Wrights, recommended their favorite website for locating all the hikes in and around Zion, and we found it to be wonderfully helpful, too. If you’re ever headed this way, wanting to get your boots on the ground, Joe’s Guide to Zion National Park! with its detailed trail descriptions, maps, and photos will help you do it right. Thanks, Joe!
 
COMMENTS
 
 
  1. Joni Wonderful scenery. Miss you two

    • TBG Hope you two are doing well Joni.

  2. chapter3travels Ugh… what is with men feeling the need to walk out on the damned rocks? Stop it! I’m gonna die 10 years earlier than I need to because my husband insists on doing crap that stresses me out. Men….

    Speaking of stressful events, sorry about your camera. That truly sucks. I have to say, one of the best things about relying on my phone to take most pics these days is, with it’s handy dandy protective case, no matter how many times I bounce it off the ground, it keeps working. Very helpful…

    On a related note, I am surprised and happy to hear the restrooms at Zion are open. I was worried about that because the Idaho state park we’re headed to next month said their campground bathhouses were all going to be closed. I assumed that was going to be a common thing and given people’s inability to properly handle that stuff out in nature, I was worried. Glad that won’t be the case at the national parks.

    Spectacular scenery as always at Zion. What a deal to be so close and able to access it during the lockdown.

    • Chasing Dirt Yesss!! We recently had a discussion about how I might reduce some of my stress. Well, my darling husband… HA!

      I am happy to report that I have a new camera now, and if I can figure out how not to accidentally hit the record button and make every picture a two-second movie, I might get some usable shots. It’s the same camera I had, just a newer model, and it’s like learning it all over again. I don’t want to learn any more new gadgets!! I do need to remember my phone more often, though — good reminder!

      I don’t know about the other N.P.s, but it was really nice that the restrooms at Zion were open. Even the ones at the more remote trailheads have been accessible and stocked — even with hand sanitizer!

      As you’ll see in the next few posts, we have been so fortunate to be able to still enjoy the park, especially with the limited access, but the crowds are starting to return. I am conflicted about that. 😐

    • TBG And I was thinking, “Ugh, what’s wrong with women?” 😆

  3. Laurel Oh, it’s just so, so beautiful. Your photos really transport me there. Walter’s Wiggles is such a cool trail, and I love the photos of TBwiggler and TLwiggler. As you know, I hiked the trail to Angel’s Landing many years ago and would NEVER do it again. But I would do the Wiggles again! The other trails you discovered are just as beautiful and are going on our list for when we make it back to the West. I hope you made plenty of those hiker signs for me to follow when we get there. 🙂

    As much as we love seeing wildlife, a mountain lion is not on my list of critters I want to encounter in the wild. Your captions make me laugh out loud, and I really need that right now.

    • Chasing Dirt The history of the engineering of the trails in Zion is really interesting, isn’t it? I wish they would keep Angels Landing trail permanently closed. The first day we went in, the rangers were waiting for two people who had hiked out there anyhow past the ropes and signs. Of course! Day One of reopening and people couldn’t control themselves. I’m sure you will get to do the Wiggles again, and when you do and after you take a left from Scout Lookout, you will find just a few of my footmade signs to guide you across the slick rock section 😀

      I can never decide if I want to see the maker of the kitty tracks or not. Obviously, NOT up close and personal, but maybe across a canyon? I’m glad I could provide some comic relief for you, my friend. That’s the best I could ever hope for anyone reading here. ❤

  4. placestheygo Loved everyone of these hikes!! Just after passing Scout’s Landing to continue on the West Rim Trail, we stopped at an overlook. Turns out we were looking directly down on Angel’s Landing. John thinks anyone planning to hike Angel’s Landing needed to come to our spot and look down on what you’d be doing on that hike. It really shows the hiker actually how narrow and dangerous Angel’s Landing can be especially when crowded. The view down on Walter’s Wiggles from the West Rim Trail is the best. We stood in the same spot as Mark on those black rocks on the way to Wildcat Canyon Trail. I can’t wait to see if you went across the white rock and down that huge red bowl of slick rock. I LOVE that hike!! The east side of Zion has so much to offer in the “Chose Your Own Adventure” category and so many fewer people.

    • Chasing Dirt Yes, the views down onto Angels Landing from several places in the park really do provide a good look at that trail. TBG did it (as shown in the ’09 pics.) Not me!! LOL I don’t want to spoil the next post too much, but I can tell you our Wildcat hike was a bit different to yours. No matter how you do it, all the hikes here are pretty darn great 🙂

    • TBG I heard someone once say even a blind person can take good photos here. It’s eye candy for sure.

  5. Shannon When we visited Zion last year we were a little disappointed to find that many of the trails were closed because of rockfall the prior winter. If only we had known about these trails you guys explored! These places look gorgeous and interesting and will be on our itinerary for a return visit to Zion. Like most of the parks it’s well worth a repeat visit.

    • Chasing Dirt That website I linked is really a great place to find all the trails, especially when the popular ones are too crowded or not even available. I have three more to showcase in the next post, and three more planned after that. We’ll see, though, because word is it’s already getting overrun again. 😦

    • TBG Another shout-out to CitrusMilo’s website on all hikes around here.

  6. Lowe's Travels Your beautiful captures are making me want and hike up there again! Some trails are familiar especially the one where you took a rest on the rocks! We had the best hikes in Zion and the Observation Point was our highlight.

    Oh, you two young lovebirds 🙂 love that photo with the canyon as the backdrop.
    I think both of you are too cute and very professional in your trail pointing. I’m going to miss the craziness on the trail but we have you to entertain us.
    Thanks for the shout out, Zion is on the top of our list for best hikes!

    • Chasing Dirt Zion’s beauty is both its blessing and its curse, isn’t it? The hiking really is phenomenal, and I hope something can be worked out long-term so that the most people can enjoy it without it being ruined.

      I hope you two will keep blogging about whatever you get up to! I don’t know what anyone else thinks, but I like to read about gardening, birdwatching, etc. I will miss your big travels, too, though. You are & were an inspiration to us ❤

    • TBG Well, as I recall we did chat about Utah being an option for you two…🤔

  7. W & L Filuta Oh my! What fabulous photos!!! I think we’ll try to squeeze in a hike or two in the fall. Our photos won’t compare though. What does TBG stand for? I have a few guesses…We miss you guys too! Found an awesome pickleball couple here so getting tons of exercise. Safe travels!

    • Chasing Dirt Thank you! October should be a great time to pick up a few Zion hikes. TBG stands for The Big Guy, something he’s been called forever for obvious reasons 😉 Happy pickleballing and safe travels to you, too!